Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Still owe college loans at 40 yrs old!!!

I'm starting this blog because my husband turns 40 this year and we still owe at least $20K on his student loans! To make me feel even worse about it, our oldest son will be starting college in 6 years.....maybe before my husband's loans are even paid off! Both my husband and I came from families who either couldn't help their children pay for college or simply didn't want too. Leaving the bulk of the financial planning up to the college student.

In my case I was able to find enough scholarships and grants that I only borrowed less than 10K in loans for my entire undergraduate and graduate degrees. And had them paid off even before they started acruing any interest. In my husband's case, he was able to have scholarships and grants for his undergraduate degree, but when he began his graduate work he took out loans. The same loans we are still paying on today.

My goal of this blog is to help educate parents & students out there as to the various means available to you to FUND COLLEGE. Sometimes your high school guidance counselor doesn't give you that much guidance. Or maybe you (or your child) are a first generation college attendee in your family and just simply don't know where to start in finding financial aid. Or maybe you are a parent with a newborn baby or young child and realize the value of time in saving for college. Whatever your situation, welcome to my blog. May it be helpful to you and give you plenty of tips and information on saving for college.

No comments:

Google